Are You Into It?
How does your garden grow? You will learn to plant it, dig it, grow it, show it and eat it.
- Learn to plan, care for, and manage vegetable and/or flower gardens, lawns, or commercial horticultural crops.
- Learn about pest management.
- Learn basic facts about plants and soils
- Apply knowledge by experimenting with plants in a laboratory or in the field.
- Learn about landscaping and water gardens.
Here's what you can do all year?
Take Horticulture further!
Here are other opportunities to explore horticulture:g
- Expand your garden and sell produce at farmers markets or to local restaurants
- Learn about locally grown foods
- Design an experiment and share the results at your school science fair.
- Collect seeds and gardens supplies, and then donate them to a local organization.
- Help children plant a garden at a local daycare or school
- Job-shadow at a local nursery or farm to explore careers that interests you
- Attend Iowa 4-H Youth Conference and participate in CSI: Crops and other workshops, motivational speakers and a community service project, bringing ideas back to your community
- Is it fair time? Consider taking an exhibit, a piece of your project learning to the fair for judging and to show off what you have learned throughout the year. It might get selected to go to the Kansas State Fair.
- Contact your county KSU Extension Office for other local workshops, activities, and events
- Meet others interested in horticulture. Check out camps at Rock Spring 4-H Center.
- Interested in a college education in the area of horticulture or landscape design? Contact your local KSU Extension Office for more information