Are You Into It?
In the 4-H sheep project you can learn about breeds, selection, grooming, production, management, showmanship, marketing, and careers.
• Learn the basic principles of animal science by owning, caring for, and keeping records on one or more head of livestock
• Gain knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices
• Identify quality in wholesale and retail cuts of meat to understand the relationship to management principles
Here's what you can do all year!
Take Sheep A Step Further !
Here are other opportunities to explore Sheep:
• Tour a sheep operation
• Attend a sheep show to listen to a judge give oral reasons and witness the differences in judging sheep
• Visit a local feed mill and see how feed ingredients are mixed, weighed and blended to make a complete ration
• Ride with a local veterinarian to learn about animal health
• Participate in a judging team
• Design a business plan to market lamb meat directly to retailers, restaurants, or private customers
• Write an educational article about some aspect of sheep production for your newspaper
• Research sheep by-products
• Is it fair time? Consider showing in your County Fair sheep show or the Kansas State Fair.
• Contact your county KSU Extension Office for other local workshops, activities, and events
• Interested in a college education in animal science or veterinary medicine? Schedule a visit with Kansas State University to explore those majors. www.ksu.edu