Are You Into It ?
“Lions, Tigers, and Bears, oh my!” Do not make good pets but many other animals do. The 4-H pet project helps you explore what kind of pet fits into your family’s lifestyle and how to be an excellent caretaker of your pet.
• Identify breeds and animal species and their characteristics.
• Learn about the selection, care, needs of pets and basic principles of pet behavior
• Demonstrate care and management in feeding, handling, grooming and fitting/showing
• Explore health regulations, first aid, and simple treatments for ailments
• Learn and practice animal ownership responsibilities
Here's What You Can Do All Year !
Take Pets Further !
Here are other opportunities to explore Pets:
• Contact your county Kansas State University Extension Office for information about local pet related events.
• Learn about service animals and how they compare and contrast to pets
• If you are interested in veterinary science and taking care of pets, visit with Kansas State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine.
• Job-shadow at a local business (pet store, veterinary clinic, breeder, etc.) in a career that interests you
• Explore health safety issues with cats and pets – what diseases do cats and pets have that might make humans ill?
• Explore what kinds of birds make the best pets
• Learn how pet birds and fish arrive at the local pet store. Do breeders in the United States raise them or are they imported from other countries?
• Research all the kinds of parasites your pet might get and how to protect you and your pet
• Research the difference between fresh water fish tanks and salt water tanks
• Sometimes people give bunnies and chicks for presents at Easter – explore the pros and cons
• Explore what kind of restrictions your community might have on pets? Can a pet owner keep a large snake in their backyard – or call a chicken or pot-bellied pig a pet?
• Explore the subject of animal assisted therapy, how it is used and what the benefits are
• If you are in high school, consider attending the annual Kansas 4-H Youth Conference