Are You Into It ?
In the meat goat project you can learn about breeds, health care, grooming, production, reproduction, management, showmanship, marketing, and careers! Learn about the fastest growing livestock project area in the country!
• Learn the basic principles of animal science by owning, caring for, and keeping records on one or more head of livestock
• Gain knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices
• Identify quality in wholesale and retail cuts of meat to understand the relationship to management principles
Here's What You Can Do All Year !
Take Meat Goats further!
Here are other opportunities to explore Meat Goats:
• Contact your county KSU Extension office for other local workshops, activities, and events
• Tour a meat goat operation
• Attend a meat goat show or workshop
• Participate in a meat goat judging team
• Design a business plan to market goat meat directly to retailers, restaurants, or private customers
• Design a business card or marketing brochure for your farm or imaginary farm
• Write an educational article about some aspect of goat production for your newspaper
• Watch a vet do a c-section on a goat with pregnancy ketosis
• Write a children’s book called “My Visit to a Goat Farm”
• Research goat by-products
• Research other cultures that rely solely on goats for meat consumption
• Attend Animal Science Round-Up as part of the Kansas 4-H Youth Conference and participate in one of the livestock tracks, participate in the community service project, bringing ideas back to your community.
• Is it fair time? Consider showing in your County Fair meat goat show or the Kansas State Fair.
• Interested in a college education in animal science or veterinary medicine? Schedule a visit with Kansas State University to explore those majors. www.ksu.edu
• Participate in a meat goat fitting contest
• Develop a project income/expense sheet
• Build a kidding barrel
• Build a show box