Are You Into It?
Horses are an exciting 4-H project area because you can participate whether you own a horse or not! Discover all the aspects of raising and riding horses.
- Appreciate riding as recreation
- Learn horsemanship skills and understand breeding, training, and raising of horses as a business
- Acquire skills in horse management by owning and being responsible for an animal
- Acquire safety skills to prevent injury to persons and animals
Here's What You Can Do All Year!
Take Horses Further!
Here are other opportunities to explore Horses:
- Attend a horse show, rodeo, or another horse event
- Visit a horse farm, horse training facility, horse boarding facility, etc.
- Participate in a horse riding camp
- Visit a local tack shop or horse supply store
- Check out horse events on television to learn about different type of horse shows and events
- Attend the Kansas State Fair to watch horse shows and observe clinicians
- Create a collection of horse showmanship and horsemanship patterns
- Keep a diary of your practices each week
- Research horse-related careers
- Give a public speech or team demonstration or compete with a painting, poster, photograph, drawing, essay, poetry, scrapbook, digital story, clothes article, woodworking piece or a model horse
- Attend Animal Science Round-Up as part of the Kansas 4-H Youth Conference and take the horse track, participate in the community service project, bringing ideas back to your community.
- Is it fair time? Consider riding in your County Fair horse show or the Kansas State Fair.
- Contact your county KSU Extension Office for other local workshops, activities, and events
- Interested in a college education in animal science or veterinary medicine? Schedule a visit with Kansas State University to explore those majors. www.ksu.edu