Food & Nutrition
Are You Into It?
This project area designed to help you do fun experiments, prepare flavor-filled recipes, and go on fact-finding missions. You’ll have fun learning about food ingredients, food characteristics, and food safety.
• Use My Plate (USDA) information to make healthy food choices
• Understand principles of nutrition related to health, physical fitness, and appearance
• Learn how to prepare and store foods safely
• Understand the scientific principles of nutrition
• Acquire and demonstrate skills in planning, purchasing, preparing and serving tasty and nutritious meals
Here's What You Can Do All Year!
Take Food and Nutrition Further!
• Create your own food preparation business
• Organize a food drive for your community
• Create a portfolio of your favorite recipes
• Keep a journal of foods eaten and calories consumed
• Plan menus for a week, make a grocery list and go grocery shopping
• Is it fair time? Consider taking an exhibit, a piece of your project learning to the fair for judging and to show what you have learned throughout the year. It might get selected to go to the Kansas State Fair
• Contact your county KSU Extension Office for other local workshops, activities, and events
• Attend Kansas 4-H Youth Conference and participate in workshops, motivational speakers and a community service project, bringing ideas back to your community