Are You Into It?
The dairy industry is one of the foundations of agriculture. There’s so much more to it than just producing milk! Most think of just dairy cattle that produce dairy products. Think again!!
• Acquire skills in dairy goat production through ownership and care of dairy goats.
• Learn marketing, processing, distribution, consumption, and use of dairy products.
• Discover selecting your project, to raising it, to finding a career in the industry.
• Learn nutritive value of dairy products and promote their use.
Here's What You Can Do All Year !
Take Dairy Goats Further !
Here are other opportunities to explore Dairy Goats:
• Tour a dairy goat operation
• Participate in regional or statewide quiz bowl events and judging contests
• Market and sell project animals to other 4-H’ers
• Start your own dairy goat herd
• Educate communities about the dairy goat industry
• Participate in a community service project, bringing ideas back to your community
• Enjoy a summer internship working at a dairy goat farm
• Research dairy goat by-products
• Compare the differences in dairy cattle and dairy goat milk and cheese production
• Attend a local or state dairy goat show and listen to the judge give oral reasons on the classes
• Is it fair time? Consider showing in your County Fair dairy goat show or the Iowa State Fair
• Contact your county KSU Extension Office for other local workshops, activities, and events
• Interested in a college education in animal science or veterinary medicine? Schedule a visit with Kansas State University to explore those majors. www.ksu.edu