Brief History of Extension
1862 - The Morrill Act was passed paving the way for a land-grant university in every state.
1863 - Bluemont College was renamed the Kansas State Agricultural College.
1887 - The Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station was created at Kansas State Agricultural College under the provision of the Hatch Act.
1914 - The Smith-Lever Act created the Cooperative Extension Service.
1915 - The Kansas Legislature passed the County Farm Bureau Law that provided funds to implement the county extension program.
1951 - Kansas Legislature revised the law making the county extension program the cooperative responsibility of the county extension council and Kansas State University.
1959 - The university's name was officially changed to Kansas State University of Agriculture and Applied Science.
1991 - Kansas Extension District Law passed by the state legislature which paved the way for two or more county Extension councils to form Extension districts.
1996 - The Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station and Kansas Cooperative Extension Service merged to form the Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service, also known as K-State Research and Extension.