Are You Into It?
In the 4-H beef project you can select from a breeding animal or a market animal. Breeding animals allow you to start your own herd while market animals produce meat products for people.
- Learn basic principles of animal science by owning, caring for, and keeping records on one or more head of livestock
- Demonstrate knowledge of sound breeding, feeding, and management practices
- Learn value of scientific research in its influence on animals and the meat industry
Here's what you can do all year!
Take Beef further!
Here are other opportunities to explore Beef:
• Visit a local feed mill and see how feed ingredients are mixed, weighed and blended to make a complete ration
• Visit a local meat locker or local grocery meat case to observe preparation and packaging
• Learn how to evaluate meat cuts, quality grade, yield grade and how these affect taste and cost
• Compare feed tags from different companies
• Ride with a local veterinarian to learn about animal health
• Attend a cattle show to listen to a judge give oral reasons and witness the differences in judging cattle
• Become a part of a youth beef team
• Exhibit or attend local, regional or national beef shows and conferences
• Is it fair time? Consider showing in your County Fair beef show or the Kansas State Fair.
• Contact your county KSU Extension Office for other local workshops, activities, and events
• Interested in a college education in animal science or veterinary medicine? Talk to you local KSU Extension Office for more information.